Monday, March 24, 2014

Mar 20 Baxter Creek & Swallow Fork Trails


This was the hike I was looking for. After two days hiking on the rutted, muddy trails of Cataloochie, I found this loop to be perfect. The day was gorgeous as well. Everything came together for this walk in the woods. The first 6 miles were a steep ascent but today I barely noticed. Nearing the top of Mt Sterling, the trail morphed into a surreal forest of boulders, thick moss and solitude. I've not experienced this beauty and contentment for a while.  


Atop Mt Sterling is a lookout tower with what appears to be a radio repeating station. Power lines ascend the mountain from a road below. The power line right of way is incredibly steep and not trimmed. It would be a miserable climb.  


I dropped my pack at the base of the tower and climbed to the cabin. The wind whistled and 360 view was spectacular. While in the cabin atop, I heard someone else ascending. I absolutely scared the &%$# out of him. Nice guy though. As was everyone else I met today. 


Dropping down a bit from Mt Sterling, I came to a trail junction with Mount Sterling Ridge Trail and Swallow Fork Trail. Here I met three gals who barely acknowledged my presence and two fellows who were college buddies in their late 20s, one from Boston and one from San Francisco. The west coast guy had both boots tied up in cloth. Apparently, on the first day of a five day backpack, both boots fell apart. They tried and ran out of duct tape and then found, using their engineering degrees, a tee shirt tied around the boot, held the soles on. They had gone through 3 tee shirts and had one left. I didn't ask about underwear but figured that might come into play at some point. They were a joy to banter with. They both were worthy beer drinkers. I told them of the pernicious weed Henry the VIII railed against but provided the inspiration for the my favorite brewpub in Asheville, Wicked Weed. 


After Mt Sterling, the trek was downhill ever so gently. Mouse Creek Falls is a much photographed place. It drops into Big Creek right at this point. There are few waterfalls which drop right into other rivers or creeks. Here is one.


Bloodroots are beginning to bloom in the lower elevations. Bloom time is here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

exciting spring changes! I also like that trail and area of the Park

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...