Monday, March 24, 2014

Mar 19 Cataloochie Valley Loop Hike


It is another day on the horse rutted trails of Cataloochie. The scene above is a great example of the type trail I saw today. All the creek crossings were like the scene below, a foot bridge for us folks and a ford for the horse folks. 


All the foot bridges today had an arch like this one. Most had been newly installed in the past couple years. I understand there were some foot bridges washed out on Caldwell Fork Trail but I did not encounter any of those today.


I did follow a short spur trail to "Big Poplars". This is the only one I thought was really big. There were a few other marginally big ones and a big one on the ground. So this one was it. Look how it dominates the canopy surrounding it. A giant amid large brethren. 


No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...