Tuesday, April 15, 2014

April 9 Sweat Heifer/Grassy Branch/Dry Sluice and AT Loop


The rain which got some of my gear wet last night, fell as sleet on the mountaintop. My hike began at the Newfound Gap parking area on AT North. It wasn't long before I found myself at this junction with Sweat Heifer. Down I went on a very scenic trail. This big dome tent shaped rock was so pretty with its partial covering of Rock Tripe. Again today, the water was flowing well. I passed several creeks with cascades nearly across the trail. A couple miles down, I could make out an old road or railroad bed paralleling the trail. It appeared to connect with 2 others at a gap. There were large pieces of metal here. I could not tell what they had originally been but assumed it had something to do with logging. 


About noon I arrived at Kephart shelter for a snack to fuel me for the climb ahead. Grassy Branch proved to be a tough climb. Finally I arrived at Dry Sluice Trail which would take to the AT. I anticipated this to be another hard climb but it was not and quickly I was on the AT South. Views were limited by the overcast and misty conditions. I did not make any of the cool side trips in this area. I just headed back to Newfound Gap.


Along the way, I met many hikers and backpackers. The crowd thickened as I approached the trail head. Muddy conditions were the rule on the AT.


No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...