Friday, August 15, 2014

Aug 14 Finally

Finally, we have chanterelles this year. Cibarius needs a lot of rain to just get started. My experience has been, it needs 2 inches or more. Tuesday we have 4 inches and that was the trick. Other mushrooms, like the usual summer suspects, Amanitas, Boletes and Russulas come up with much less rain.

A group of four of us were scouting a route for the Forest Service which will become a continuation of the Uwharrie Trail. The first thing I saw in the wood was a cibarius chanterelle. Over the course of the 4 hour hike, I was able to fill my basket. I was optimistic and had stashed a basket in my pack.

Our route tuned out to be nice. We found some interesting features and waypointed them on the gps track.

Ready for the frying pan

I believe this is a confusus mushroom.


Very similar to Old Man mushroom but with erect spikes on cap

Slate quarry on McAurther Property

Yellow patches





No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...