Friday, August 1, 2014

July 30 Greenbrier River Trail north

Bridge leading to Sharps Tunnel

Nine miles north of Marlinton the trail transforms. The rural countryside changes here. I had been viewing long fields and pastures on both side of the river. At this spot, the river makes an sharp bend in a vary narrow gorge. So narrow, the railroad could not be built alongside it. This tunnel had to be built to pick up the river once again on the other side of the sharp bend. Once through the tunnel, you emerge into a more wilderness setting. No development is seen for 6 miles until the tiny community of Cloverlick.

Telltale seen from in Sharps Tunnel

Telltales warn folks on top of a train to duck, quickly.

Depot at Cloverlick

This beautifully restored depot has a great resting spot here. I don't know what it is used for but the restoration must have been costly. This was my turn around spot. I had hoped to make it to Cass and back but I just had too much trouble getting into a good cadence today. So although I only rode 30 miles, my average speed was less than the 52 miles yesterday. 

Cardinal Flower

Trail and river in tandem 

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...