Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Oct 10 Long Trail - Molly Stark's Nest

Camels Hump from the south

From this direction, Camels Hump looks like a Camel's Hump. From I-89, the most seen view, it looks like a couching lion, its former name.

Beginning at Appalachian Gap (App Gap), I hike north on very steep and rugged trail. I had forgotten how difficult trail hiking was in Vermont after years of easy trail here in North Carolina. Reaching Molly Starks Balcony, as it is signed, I was rewarded with the view below. I later learned from the locals, the preferred name was "Molly Starks Nest".


Camels Hump and Mt Mansfield from Molly Stark's Nest

 It was downhill all the way to Birch Glen shelter. Once here, I realized I had hiked this section before. Still it was an enjoyable hike, even if I was not adding new LT mileage.

Birch Glen Shelter

This shelter is an easy access from a side trail, the Beane Trail. It did not look like it was used as a party shelter as one might expect.

Steep and rugged trail

The climb down to App Gap is very steep and rugged. I don't think the photo shows that but this was a spot I thought I should try to capture that character. 

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...