Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Oct 12 Long Trail to Burnt Rock

Log with polypores

                           
                                                                 Ghostly Oysters

I had heard the Camel Hump parking area might be crowded on this nice Sunday. Getting there early was my agenda. There were plenty of spaces available. The hike began on Forest City Trail which intersected the Long Trail near Montclair Glen Shelter. It took over an hour to ascend to the Long Trail. I encountered a few people but not like I expected. From here all the way to Burnt Rock (Long Trail south) I saw only 5 people. Going up Mt Ethan Allen was tough. It was very steep and rocky. I was so glad to reach the fine viewing spot at the summit. Continuing on I thought I'd also have to summit Mt Ira Allen. It was on the map but I didn't look closely enough to see the trail skirted the east side. My altimeter showed me going down and I dreaded the ascent. The ascent of Ira Allen never happened. Finally, I took out the guidebook and saw my error.

Heading up Burnt Rock was tough. There were several spots where iron rungs aided the scramble over rocks. And there was even an aluminum ladder in, aptly named, Ladder Gulch. From here it was just a short distance to the top of Burnt Rock. There was a glimpse to the west but great views to the north and east. On a long ledge looking east, I stopped for a leisurely lunch. The view below was the view from "my spot".

Looking toward the Whites

The hike back to the parking area was much quicker than the morning hike. I was concerned with my energy level but did fine. Once I got off the Long Trail and headed down to the parking area, I began seeing many hikers. Back at the parking area, it was packed. As I drove off, the road was lined for almost a mile with cars. It must have been SRO on top of Camels Hump. The following day I spoke with a young fellow who did confirm, "it was a zoo up there".

Ladder Gulch

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...