Saturday, March 19, 2016

Mar 18 Walnut Creek Greenway


If you wish to test your urban navigational skills, this is the trail for you. Walnut Creek Greenway, part of the Raleigh greenway system, follows Walnut Creek from the Neuse River to and around Lake Johnson, southeast of downtown Raleigh. The previous night, I reviewed the course and maps. There were brief descriptions of the four sections. I didn't pay much attention because everything looked pretty simple. I found the trailhead on Lake Johnson right where it should be. Where was the trail. There was a trail going by the parking area but with no signage. Thinking it must be at the bottom of the hill (its a creek!), that is where I went. OK, there is a trail, no signage. I go about a half mile and there is a detour sign pointing left. I went left but there was never another sign. I kept going and finally saw what looked like a trail. OK, back on the creek. Then I entered the Centennial Campus of NCSU. Very nice trail through here. At about the 3 mile mark, I finally see a sign indicating that someone has adopted this section of the Walnut Creek Trail. That is the first sign I saw naming the trail.


At about the 4 mile mark, the trail ended at a road. There was a spray painted arrow on the road pavement. I turned, came to a stop sign. There was no indication which way to go. I turned left, saw a trail and followed it. About a mile further, I noticed, the creek was running the wrong way. Or, I was going the wrong way is a more appropriate statement. I backtracked and saw another trail, came to a road intersection and saw a sign "Walnut Creek Trail" pointing left. I started along the road and soon realized I was headed toward downtown Raleigh. I turned back and went the opposite way of the sign. Then I saw trail again. Surely, I'm going to be fine now. Passing by some warehouses and junkyards, I was back alongside Walnut Creek. I pass some nice wetlands and ride over some boardwalks. Then I come to another road. No indication which way to go. I follow what I think is the most logical route through a neighborhood. I try to find a way back to the creek and end up riding in a huge loop ending at a neighborhood park. Thinking that I am lost and this is my turnaround spot, I decide to eat lunch, fire up my phone and figure out where I am. It turns out, I am just a hundred yards from the trail. 


Now I'm back in business. Riding trail through a nice area including the Walnut Creek sports and entertainment area. There appears to be a collegiate softball tournament of historically black universities going on. I could tell that by the buses parked in the lot. From here, the trail takes on a different look. It looks more professional. There are mile markers with trail names on them. I do have to pass through a huge construction area before entering some wetlands where there are 3 boardwalks totaling 1/2 mile in length. From here it is just a couple miles to the Neuse River. 


Armed with all the knowledge the trail route, I am confident I can return to Lake Johnson without getting lost. I manage all the way past NCSU campus and then come to a road with no signs and I have forgotten how I came through here. It takes me about 3 minutes to figure out where I am and how I should proceed, using google maps. Once I had it figured out I did fine back to the car. From the car to the Neuse is about 14 miles and there is the 3 miles I route being lost, so a big day on the bike for me.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...