Friday, March 11, 2016

Mar 4 Cedar Rock Mountain and Betty McGee Creek

One of the Doud Mine Pits

Hiking in from a new trailhead on High Pine Church Road, I can easily access Camp 3 and Rush Mine area now. The Trailhead is on NC Wildlife Resources Commission property recently acquired from the Land Trust for Central North Carolina. The property was to be a development with quite a few lots/homes. The developer sold the property to the Land Trust when demand for housing crashed in 2007/2008. 

Near the end of the development road, an old woods road heads left into the Birkhead Wilderness. This old road has seen significant foot traffic recently and resembles a super highway trail. In a few minutes you arrive at a side trail heading to Camp 3. This campsite is the site of an old homeplace. There is a small springbox, a mine pit with steel crank and a rebuilt firepit. 

Keyhole Tree

Leaving Camp 3 and retracing back to the super highway, I continue to head into the Birkheads. A short distance further, a mound can be seen in the woods on the right. Further investigation reveals and series of pits, perhaps 20. This is the Doud Mine complex and the headwaters for Betty McGee Creek. From here I veer upward toward Cedar Rock Mountain. The terrain is open mature hardwood and gradually sloping up. Along here I spot the keyhole tree, an oddity of nature. 

Cedar Rock Mountain

The scene and view from Cedar Rock Mountain are like nothing else in the Uwharries. There is a limited far off view of Mt Shepherd. 

Heading down the mountain, I enter a settled area. It is relatively flat. there are two distinct homesites and many piles of rocks. Those rocks are probably there to clear some pasture or tilled fields. This is an extensive area of some former activity. 

Early American Chimney 

Following Betty McGee Creek on an old road, I walk all the way to the "Big Rocks" with the ladder up them. Then onto the abandoned house on Grey Owl Road. A Black Vulture crashed its way out of the attic as I approached.

Big Rock

After a short stop for lunch, I retraced back to Betty McGee and returned to Cedar Rock area. From here I made my way back via old roads rather than the off trail route which I had come in on.

2 comments:

Zack Sipper said...

Hey there, I know this is an older blog but anyway to point me toward the "Big Rock" with a ladder on it? interested to explore and find it myself. Would like to start at Tots Hill.

Zack Sipper said...

Great blog, I have lived rather close to Birkhead wilderness most of my life and never realized how great this area can be. Any tips on finding the "Big Rock"?

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...