Thursday, March 17, 2016

Mar 8 Virginia Creeper Trail


It is early March and warm. A great time to head out to the Creeper trail for a bicycle ride. The added bonus is, it is midweek and I don't expect many riders to be barreling down the trail at me as I slowly go up.

It is chilly, in the 40s, so I stop for a leisurely breakfast at Mojo's Trailside Cafe. Now I am set for the climb. It is still chilly but I warm up quickly riding uphill.  


One of the concerns I had, is what the trail will look like. Other trails don't get much use if any, in the winter and often there is debris and mud. This trail looked decent. There were some spots where small branches had come down but they could easily be ridden over. I did stop to move to fallen rocks in one area.


I saw a couple hikers on the way up but no bicyclists until Green Cove, 15 miles up. It had taken me almost 3 hours to reach here so I decided it was far enough. The next 3 miles are the steepest.


O Winston Link took this daytime photo of a mule bowing to the Virginia Creeper back in the 1950s. The railroad still used steam at that time which was the attraction for Mr Link. This is one of his most famous photos and possibly his most famous daytime photo. He is better known for his use of lights for night shots.


Here some beavers have created an infinity pool with a great view of fields in the foreground and mountains in the background. How do they build these things and not have then leak?


No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...