Tuesday, June 12, 2018

June 12 Murray Lane Monster


Arguably, the most ambitious wood carving attempted by my late father, John Plant Jr, was this Loch Ness type monster. From one piece of wood and almost perfectly balanced, it began as his last wood carving project. After developing a 3/4 inch wide crack between the snout and top of the head, it was abandoned and sat in the barn for about 20 years. More recently, it was moved to the shed. While cleaning out the shed last month, this thing was constantly in my way. Finally, I moved it outside while I finished my task. After finishing, rather than move it back, I loaded it in my truck and drove it back to NC.

Now, it was sitting in my basement, getting in the way. Perhaps, the crack was the reason for abandoning it or maybe Dad was tired of carving and interested in other endeavors. There was a half hearted attempt to patch the crack but it made the monster look worse. I examined the crack and filled it with plastic wood, then painted over it. I was so pleased with how it looked, I began to imagine what I could do with it. Googling "dinosaur eyes" gave me the idea for painting them. I'm still wondering how I might add menacing teeth. That may come. 




Here is how the fellow looked while residing in the shed. And here he is after 6 coats of waterseal. The next step was to build a base so he'd be rising up out of the bushes next to the house. There he keeps a constant vigil over our drive. When you visit, say "hello" or "hi y'all" to Murray


Some of Dad's other carvings are below. On a 1960's epic journey to Alaska - 7 kids, Mom and Dad in the rented Dodge Motorhome - he became acquainted with the Kwakiutl Indians of British Columbia and their art. Many of the pieces have their influence.







No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...