Thursday, June 7, 2018

June 4 Elk Knob


Plan A was to hike up Snake Mountain but when we arrived at the trailhead near Elk Knob State Park, it was gated off, both the parking area and the farm gate which had been left slightly open in the past. We drove back to Elk Knob State Park and asked the gal in the office about the recent change. She was about as helpful as a fence post. "Its private property and I work at a state park" was her response. 


Unable to obtain any further information on who we might contact for access permission, we hiked up the 1.9 mile trail to the top of Elk Knob. The views were very nice, maybe rivaling the top of Snake. 


At the topmost viewpoint, I tried my best to spot the Sauratown Mountains. I'm certain I saw Pilot in the distant mist. 

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...