Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Jun 25 Uwharrie Chanterelles Make 2019 Debut


Recent rains provided the magic needed to make chanterelles appear once again on the Uwharrie forest floor. For two straight days I subjected myself to drenching humidity, a constant contact with spiderwebs and all the other discomforts a hot Uwharrie summer brings. My reward was 6.2 lbs of Golden Chanterelles and the solitude of the forest. I should also mention the Wood Thrushes put on a wonderful concert for me.


I picked in the usual spots and realized we had an unusual crop to start of the year. So, I ventured into some unusual spots and was rewarded well. I think the window will close quickly as there is no rain forecast anytime this week. Those mushrooms that are just starting out, are looking for moisture and they won't be able to get much. It is a conundrum. The best chanterelles are those that have dried out a bit. However, those conditions mean no new ones form and retard the growth of any small ones. So the world of chanterelles hinges on moisture, a precious commodity in a NC summer.


Woodcrafting is an unwelcome practice in the National Forest. These are live trees that have been cut to craft into forest furniture. It makes for great TV for couch potatoes but detracts from our forests.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...