Monday, June 3, 2019

May 30 Greenbrier River Trail - Marlinton to Renick


Bicycling on the Greenbrier River Trail always means I will see plenty of deer. I watched this fellow walk across the river. The shallow water is no deterrent at all.  


Yesterday, the afternoon was punctuated with a series of thunderstorms producing strong winds and lots of noise. Fresh treefalls were in store for me today. This is the first of 4 I had to wrestle my bicycle through. It was early in the morning and I got soaked in the wet leaves. 


The Watoga Bridge crosses the river for the final time on the way to Lewisburg. After crossing, there is a dirt road alongside for a mile or more into Seebert. There are many cottages dotting the way. I spotted a couple which looked like year round residences. Their vegetable gardens were like works of art. Perfectly staked tomato plants were alongside perfectly aligned pole beans.

If you are passing through here, there is a store, Jack Horner's Corner in Seebert. Ice Cream and microwaveable processed grub is available. 

The hanging garden of Watoga

Today's ride is a bit longer than my ride to Cass. I pass through many farms or former farms, fishing cabins and old homes. You even pass a prison with plenty of fences and concertina wire. 

About mid morning I stopped at a campsite for a break. Two fellows were just about to take off with bicycles laden with gear and bicycle trailers. We spoke for about 10 minutes. These guys were rail trail riders like me. We traded stories about the trails we had traveled. We had another thing in common, the Greenbrier was our favorite.


The Droop Mountain tunnel needed to be supported on this end. The other end is just rock cut. 

While visiting Green Bank a couple days earlier, I learned one of the radio telescopes on their property was shipped via railroad and had to travel what is now the Greenbrier River Trail. There was 3 inches of clearance in this tunnel. I guess they knew that ahead of time but I bet the train slowed down just the same. 

When I arrived in Renick, I was pretty wet and dirty having had four tussles with downed trees. So it felt great to get in some dry clothes.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...