Friday, June 7, 2019

Jun 3 AT at Fox Creek


My Appalachian Trail hike for today is a rather short 6 mile in and out, beginning at the Fox Creek Trailhead. This is the first road crossed by the AT northbound after Grayson Highlands State Park.

I expected I'd see some NOBO hikers today and I did. There were some SOBO hikers as well. I also ran into a group of fellows hiking from Massie Gap which would make it about a 10 mile day hike. They were carrying pepper spray and had bells!


My entire hike is within the Lewis Fork Wilderness. It was a lovely hike with much green vegetation but pretty much devoid of any flowering plants. Roots and rocks were in abundance. The AT crossed a horse trail several times. The only shelter on this section, Old Orchard Shelter, is located right at one of those intersections. So, hikers and equestrians, both camped there. I saw one horse in residence but not its rider. Metal "bear boxes" now appear at many shelters as a way to mitigate the issues with shelter bears. One shelter near Watoga Lake was abandoned and eventually burned because it had become such a hangout for bears. The bear boxes seem like such a better solution. Controlling bear behavior by controlling human behavior is pretty tricky.


At the edge of the wilderness and through a gate, the Highland ponies manicure the green meadows. It is so lush here. Their bellies look like they will burst from the feasting diet. At this point, I turn around, go back through the gate and head downhill, retracing my way back.


No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...