Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 9 The Jumpoff


It began as a gorgeous day. By early afternoon, I was wondering if I needed to get my umbrella out and have it handy. By evening it was pouring.

Our hike today is short at 6 miles, beginning at Newfound Gap, heading north on the AT. Take your first left, then your first right and you are at the Jumpoff.


Peering over the ledge it looks like a long vertical drop covered in vegetation. I ate lunch here with my friend Terry, from Pennsylvania. His knee kept him off the trail with his backpacking friends doing the stretch through the national park. 


On our return, we met many folks heading out from Newfound Gap. This critter was not shy one bit. I bet it gets its share of handouts. Red squirrels are often seen at high elevations in the park.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...