Saturday, August 20, 2022

Jul 19 Allegheny Highlands Ride

 


The Allegheny Highlands Trail began life as the West Virginia Central & Pittsburgh Railroad. In 2001 it started its tranformation into a rail trail. My expectations were high due to all the hype generated for this trail. After parking in downtown Elkins by the railroad station, now serving a tourist train, I could not find a discernable trail. Downtown was busy getting ready for the morning. Google maps suggested I go to another trailhead on the outskirts of town. Directions led me to the spot but I missed the turn and ended up in a maze of narrow roads through a cemetery which encompassed consideable acreage.

Finally, I ended up in the parking lot for the trailhead. 


The trail was paved here and for the first several miles. It was a pleasant ride through forest and rural countryside. The pavement came to an end and the ride continued on dirt/gravel two track. A road paralleled the trail for the rest of my ride. I reached the small town of Montrose where the trail crossed the road and appeared to be less maintained. I chose to turn around at this spot and head back. 


Road crossing at Montrose


After returning to the trailhead, I decided to continue riding into Elkins to see where the trail went. There was a pull up a steep hill and a pedestrian bridge over the main road. A considerable sum of money would have been needed to build this bridge, complete with a full wire mesh enclosure to prevent objects being tossed into the road below. Beyond the bridge, the trail descended steeply into Elkins and looked to disappear at a large road intersection. I chose not to go and returned to my car. In the parking lot a couple was unloading their e-bikes using a ramp. E-bikes are taking over.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...