Friday, August 19, 2022

Jun 19/20 New River & Pulaski Ride

 


When I first retired and took up bicycling, this was one of the early overnight rides I did. For this 2022 rendition, I started at Foster Falls midafternoon, I bicycled north on the New River Trail. As I was huffing and puffing up the hill to Draper, a couple cyclists whizzed past me. They were quite overweight and I marveled at how fast they rode up the hill. Then I realized they were on e-bikes. I passed them while they were stopped at Draper and they whizzed by me again. I guess they were going 20 mph. 

National Historic Register train station in Pulaski.

Just before the end of the New River Trail, I veered off on the Dora Spur into Pulaski. This trail is not maintained as well and had a tree across it at one point. 


Some of the highlights on the ride on the spur into Pulaski were these deer trailside, the Bee Balm and Milkweed below.




The spur circles back under the New River Trail where you get a great look at the underside of this railroad bridge.


Many rail trails have relics of the railroad era still in place. I enjoy seeing these. It is also a great excuse to stop and catch your breath.


If you thought I was spending the night in a tent along the trail, you're wrong. Right where the Dora Spur ends in downtown Pulaski at the old train station, is a boutique hotel and restaurant in a renovated brick building once a two story downtown store. I noticed several vehicles with bicycles aboard in the parking lot. All of them e-bikes.

A nearby Dollar General provided food and drink for the next day. Other than that, there was nothing else open downtown on a Sunday night. The hotel's restaurant was open and did a brisk business.


After a quick hotel breakfast, I was back on the trail fairly early. This odd house looks abandoned. There was an abandoned pick up nearby, shrouded in vegetation. A no trespassing sign greets you on the porch. Yet there is a light on inside.



This sculpture series along the trail may seem like a series of odd scluptures. However, if you look through a scope which lines them all up, you see a railroad engine. My photo didn't focus correctly so you'll have to use your imagination. 

Invasive Asian Pea looks very nice

Walking fern

Back across the Hiawasee Bridge






No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...