Saturday, August 20, 2022

Jul 20 West Fork Trail Ride

 


The West Fork Trail is the main focus of this trip to West Virginia. It has been on my radar for years. I'm concerned because it is not a well maintained and manicured trail. The trail follows the West Fork of the Greenbrier on its southern end and the West Fork of the Cheat on the northern end. Thus the West Fork name. Still, don't confuse with the West Fork River Trail also in this region of WV. 


The trailhead in the community of Glady is at a gate on a dirt road with sweeping views of farmland. The community is a series of cabins and travel trailers permanently parked on winding narrow gravel streets. There is no cell service but you can drive up to a car phone and make a call from your car.


It was a cool and humid morning to start my ride. The trail was slightly uphill for the first few miles. I passed a few farm homes. Then it was just me and the wildlife. Deer watched as I rode by. I spooked a black bear crossing a creek. Wildflowers were abundant. I began to see Turks Cap Lily. There was one spot so orange I thought it must be Daylilies escaped from a homesite. It was Turks Cap. Wow!


As I rode further, the trail became a two track surrounded by wet grass.


Signage was sparse and old. All the old lumber towns had interpretive signs. Obviously, the old railroad served the timbering industry. The largest of the lumber towns, Cass, now exists as a state park and tourist attraction. There is a gap between this trail and Cass which would connect to the Greenbrier trail. 



This bright green summer/hunting cabin looks to be a surviving lumber town building. It was the only structure I saw for miles. 

My Fuji sports brand new Continental tires.



The farther I rode, the more overgrown the trail became. The two track eventually transformed into just grass, wet grass at that. At about the 11 mile mark, I decided to turn back. I knew I would not be able to ride the 22 mile trail, and return for a 44 mile ride. So the 11 mile mark was halfway and would allow me to ride the same distance tomorrow from the Durbin end. 




My return ride was a very pleasant one and the final few miles which had been uphill in the morning, were now downhill. I was averaging about 15-16 mph here. Felt like I was on an e-bike. It was along here I passed the only other cyclist I saw all day.


No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...