Friday, August 19, 2022

July 18 Cranberry Glades and Honeycomb Rocks

 


My bicycle ride for the day was cancelled after a terrible weather forecast of heavy rain and hail. As an alternate activity, I'm off to an old standby and one of my favorite spots, the Cranberry Glades in the Monongahela National Forest. I'll be able to hike and head back to my car when weather begins to deteriorate. I picked a gorgeous trail which passes through the glades.









But, it was a bit wet

When the clouds began to threaten, I headed back. The boardwalk loop was just up the road, so off I went. I was prepared to get wet but knew I'd be able to walk on boardwalk, not wet grass and mud.




I spotted som Sundew in one spot.

Pitcher Plants post bloom




It began to rain and I wanted to stay dry. Slowly, I drove back along the Highland Skyway, stopping at several scenic overlooks to watch the rain. Arriving at the end of the road, I pulled up to the kiosk for the highway amd saw "Honeycomb Rocks" highlighted. It was a pulloff about 3 miles back. The rain had subsided, so that is where I headed.


There was about a quarter mile of trail and about 6 rocks which had this honeycomb-like structure to them. They occur in a few other places but are quite rare. 




No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...