Saturday, May 14, 2011

April 29 Cotswold Way from Wood Stanway
















A staddlestone barn along the trail today. I walked through many sheep pastures today including the one below which was perhaps the largest I encountered all week. 















Further along today, I passed the ruins of the once grand Haile Abbey. At one time it was one of the, if not "the" largest of all the "wool" churches. Beyond that was the fabulous longbarrow, Belas Knap, perched on top of a hill. This group burial chamber was used beginning in 2500 BC. Around noon I crossed Cleeve Hill. A golf course encompassed the entire top. The trail goes beside and through the course so you need to mind the golfers when they tee off. The views from Cleeve Hill were great.














The rest of the afternoon was spend in and out of wooded areas. Yesterday I saw tons of bluebells, today it was ramsons or wild garlic as in the photo below. By the end of the day I was quite tired. On the long uphill walk to the California Farm where I was booked for the night, the owner came along and gave me a lift the final half mile. It was a beautiful home, set back in the hills on a long private drive. The hosts were very gracious. They even gave me a ride into town so I could eat at one of the pubs. My room was the nicest one I slept in during my walk.

No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...