Saturday, October 26, 2019

Oct 20 Bioluminescent Mushrooms

Jack O'lantern mushrooms

 I see them a couple times a year, but always somewhere inaccessible at night. I never thought to pick them and bring some home. Nanci and I went out Sunday night and checked them out. There was not a hint of bioluminescent light. Disappointed, I grabbed a few and returned home with them. When it was completely dark, I could make out a faint white glow. This morning it is raining and the glow is much stronger. I can see them 40 feet away. It is only the underside (gills) that glow. When you look at the top side (cap), there is nothing. If I could photo them with a time lapse, I'm sure it would look eerie. 



No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...