Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Sept 18 New River Trail


It is a mild day and overcast, making for a pleasant bike ride on the New River Trail. Beginning at Foster Falls and riding to beyond Draper and back, I'm looking for a 40 mile ride as a tune up for my longer ride coming up in 2 weeks. I don't see anyone on the trail almost all morning. I do see lots of nuts on the trail. Hickories and Buckeyes along with some Black Walnuts are making their annual fall. I also see some fresh Paw Paws which taste like a citrusy banana. My pack got loaded up with Buckeyes so I can plant them back in Randolph County. 


After the turn around, I enjoyed the downhill from Draper to the Hiawasee Bridge. Along here, I stopped for a quick lunch. Again, not many folks on the trail. Then in the final few miles a group of riders whizzed past me. It seemed they were riding 15-16 mph. A couple of them were struggling but even they left me in the trail dust. I met them back at the trailhead - no vacancy in the bathroom while they were dressing for the ride home. I think the group was about a dozen, all from NC and about my age. It made me feel old having been so unceremoniously dusted. 


No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...