Sunday, October 27, 2019

Oct 25 Three Sisters Ridge to Orrell Road


One of my favorite off trail hikes involves Hanging Rock Ridge or Three Sisters Ridge as it is sometimes referred to. There is a well worn trail to the top of Hanging Rock. That is the start of our hike today. Our group of 5 hikes this trail almost to the top. We step off and head out the ridge. Wes reveals it is his first time off trail. The rest of us are in familiar territory. After the first rock is climbed, we find our way to the keyhole and then to the cantilevered rock which has a fire pit. I am dismayed to see graffiti on the rocks here. It is fresh and still has some gloss to it. There is quite a bit here. We clamor through the underbrush to the cave pictured above. This is a rather substantial cave with a huge vulture nest. 
  

From the north side of the ridge, we have a nice view of the Blue Ridge and beyond. The photo shows the view toward Moores Knob.

It is a long gradual walk down off Hanging Rock to the gap with the First Sister. The Sisters look big but they are easily climbed. We go up and down over all three. There is a significant gap between Middle and Third Sister making me wonder if we topped all 3 and I miscounted. Then we head down some more and try to locate Sheep Rock. I have GeoTracker on so we do not stray onto private property.


We think we are on Sheep Rock and settle down for a lunch break. From this point, I can make out the Mill Creek valley and watershed. I can't see Orrell Road but have a good idea where it is. It is our destination and we have a car staged there for the ride back to the Visitor Center. 


After lunch, we continue walking down the ridge in a easterly direction. I know we will run out of state park property if we continue this. So at the first good looking opportunity, we bear right and down more steeply. I sense that we are in the area where I've been before. It has that feel and after a few minutes we find an old timber road with a stone wall alongside. I know I have been there before. We follow it in the direction of Orrell Road. Eventually, it comes to an old tobacco barn which I recognize. 


From there it is just a matter of walking through a couple fields. Mill Creek is low and we decide to rock hop it. None of us make it without a splash in the water. I thought we were through with the creek but alas, we must cross it again. We all had another splash here. 

After piling in the car, we drove up Orrell Rd for a little tour of the new Hanging Rock property. 

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...