Saturday, May 2, 2015

April 20 Newton Bald

Bellwort

Newton Bald Trail begins near Smokemont Campground at the Occonaluftee River. That is were I began this hike. The lower portion of the trail has been used extensively by horses. Under threatening skies, I wove my way through cove after cove, rising up always. There was a decent showing of wildflowers but nothing like I would be seeing on the Tennessee side later in the week.

Finally the trail levels somewhat and reaches the junction below. Old sign and new sign on the same post. It was here, I began to hear thunder and realized I was going to get wet on my return hike. Sure enough, rain came. 


No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...