Monday, May 11, 2015

May 9 A Grandfather on Grandfather Mountain

Profile

My first hike on Grandfather Mountain as a grandfather. This PHOC hike is led by Debby Harris and there are just a few of us. We start up Profile Trail at 9:15 and parade through a profusion of wildflowers. I counted 28 species I could identify and another 5 or 6 I could not.

About half way up, I began to lag behind and the struggle to keep up began. It was a relief to reach Calloway Gap but I had expended much energy on the 3 mile climb to that point.

Debby in the chute

By the time we were at the chute, I knew I'd be going no further than MacRae's Peak. The chute and rock jumble at the bottom were fun. On the climb to MacRae's I had to stop for several minutes to gather strength. We ate lunch at the top in perfect conditions. Very few others made the trek out here. 

Blue Ridge Parkway

As the girls were leaving to go to swinging bridge, Earnest joined me for lunch, having come up Daniel Boone Trail and over Calloway. Swinging bridge is another mile but it would take an hour there and an hour back to where I was. I didn't feel I had that king of energy. So, I headed back at a slow pace.

Ladder to the sky

Below MacRae's Peak

I saw many wildflowers on the return which I had missed on the way up. Sand Myrtle was budding but no blooms yet.

Trout lilies 

Trout lilies were quite healthy looking. They were a larger size than I have seen elsewhere.

Swiss cheese rock

This odd rock is seen on the Profile Trail. It does not appear to be like any of the other rock on the mountain.

I was out at the trailhead by 3:30, an hour and a half before the others. Of course I had hiked 2 less miles.

1 comment:

Dana Koogler said...

Love the TR! It is excellent. I have done this hike, but not the way you did it. I have the Attic Window view on my wall in here to my left! Thanks for sharing. That was a HARD one!

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...