Sunday, May 24, 2015

May 23 Tanawha hike


The best part of the Tanawha Trail is the section between Rough Ridge and Stackrocks. So why don't we just hike that section, in both directions. It is a seven mile jaunt without terribly strenuous terrain. It is a lot of rocks and roots.


This meetup hike is being led by longtime friend Jean Hylton. Wait a sec, it is being led by me. As we pull into the parking area, Jean tells me I am leading it. I have to assume she has deferred to my seniority as a longtime hiker and amateur naturalist. Or was it just her abrasive personality (hope she doesn't read blogs)? 


It was a great start. We see lots of wildflowers and I only misidentify a few. Here we have Catawba Rhododendron and Sand Myrtle. There is lots of Clintonia, Umbrella Leaf and a single Pink Lady Slipper among the usual suspects.


Amid the wonderful rock formations I have digitally captured some of nature's tree art.




There is a short side trail off Tanawha Trail which leads to this wonderful view of Linn Cove Viaduct. Only Jean and I took a moment to visit this spot. We met a biker from Florida taking in the view too. It is probably the best view of the Viaduct I know of.

No comments:

Apr 20 Waterwall on Walker Creek

  Waterwalls redirect floodwater back into the creekbed. There is one very near the Uwharrie Trail on the Walker Creek section. This one is ...