Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Nov 10 TRLT Outdoor Challenge Day 10

 Morrow Mountain Bridle Trail





Morrow Mountain State Park has 3 main bridle trails. The three loops are interconnected to provide a short, medium and long trail. My hike is on the Long Bridle Loop which encircles the developed area of the park. All these trails start at the bridle trail parking area near the park entrance. It is a huge parking area. Today there was not another vehicle parked when I arrived. 

My expectation for hiking the bridle trail was that I would encounter muddy spots and eroded trail. Although I did encounter such, it was the exception rather than the norm. Pleasantly surprised, I really enjoyed the 11 mile hike and would consider it again. 

One bonus was the Big Rocks Trail. A hiking trail that I don't recall having been on before, is accessed by the bridle trail. It leads to a rock viewpoint on the shore of Lake Tillery. It was my lunch spot.


The leaves were putting on a nice display of yellow with some orange and red. Beech trees were still wearing green and the oaks were sporting brown. Morrow Mtn SP is an open forest of mature trees. Invasives are present but haven't taken over like we see in too many places now. 



This appears to be a reference to Dale Earnhardt 

As the day wore on, so did the humidity. Just as I was finishing up, few sprinkles fell. I purposely chose today to hike the trail. The forecast for the next few days was for lots of rain. 






No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...