Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Nov 8 TRLT Outdoor Challenge Day 8

 Dutchmans Creek & Uwharrie Trails Loop

Dutchmans Creek

Starting at Yates Place, I walked through a thoroughly overcrowded camp area. Dozens of people were tending their breakfast campfires and taking down tents. 

I walked the spur trail to the Uwharrie Trail and headed south. It is less than a mile to the junction with Dutchmans Creek Trail where I turned right. Over the first mile, you gradually descend to Dutchmans Creek. You are rewarded with a very pleasant walk alongside the creek. Mountain Laurel enhances the scene and shelters some scattered campsites. I got a whiff of breakfast cooking at one. 


After that pleasant and scenic creekside stroll, the action heats up with a long ascent up Lick Mountain. Its steep in spots going up and steeper going down. The Chestnut Oak leaves don't help with footing. I found myself, kicking them out of the way so I could gain some better footing on the descent.

Reflector in the "reassurance marker"

The trail sports these new yellow diamond blazes with a reflector in the center. 

The route is up and down for the full 5.5 miles of the upper half of the Dutchman Creek Trail. Somehow, I walked right past the intersection with the Uwharrie Trail. After hiking about .4 mile, I came to a gravel road crossing and realized I'd been there earlier in the year and it was not where I should be. Retracing back to the Uwharrie Trail, I wondered how I could make this error. 


Back at the junction, I realize how well marked it is and head north on the UT. These last few miles of the loop are an easy, slightly undulating hike through a mostly pine forest. A recent burn is evident. I also note many trees have been cut out of the trail recently and in the past. I thought it was a staggering number of cuts and wondered who has been maintaining this section.  

That was a windy day

Back at Yates Place I run into a young fellow who has just completed his first backpack, being new to hiking too. After a short conversation, he gradually realizes that he is not where he thinks he is. After a lengthy session with his smart phone, he asks where Rt 24 is. I give him the bad news. He had intended to do an 11 mile loop out of Wood Run Trailhead but instead did an 11 mile hike from there to Yates Place. Whoa!




No comments:

Apr 24 Riles Creek Paddle

  Riles Creek drains into Tuckertown Reservoir. Today's paddle was organized by Crystal and most of these Photos were taken with her zoo...